This website is an attempt to go back to the origins of the web, to it's simplest form, old web aesthetics and no frameworks or libraries whatsoever. A sort of artisan development.
I built my first website back in 2002 through the only user-friendly option available back then - GeoCities. I still have the URL: http://www.geocities.com/uribarialex/1.html but unfortunately, the site were not preserved and I were unable to find it archived elsewhere. Since then, I tried many different things to host my site: free hostings with site builders, Wordpress, static website generators like Publii, more complex static website generators with CLI and returning back to Wordpress again. I was never fully satisfied with the result (except, probably, with GeoCities...).
If the project will be worth it, I'll make the code public on my Github so you could build it on your own as well. In line with the the early internet philosophy, the idea is to build this site as frugal as possible (free, to be precise). Thefore, the services will be chosen with this idea in mind, free and no credit card requirment.
Current tech stack:
- Domain registration: Amazon Route 53 - 12$/year
- Development assistance, generative AI: Amazon Q, Amazon CodeWhisperer. Free. No credit card required
- Integrated Development Environment (IDE): Visual Studio Code. Free. No credit card required
- Online IDE: GitHub Codespaces. 2 cores/60 hours, 15GB per month Free. No credit card required
- Named servers and DNS: Cloudflare. Free. No credit card required
- Static web hosting: Cloudflare Pages. Free. No credit card required
- Git management: GitHub private repository. Free. No credit card required
- Serverless functions (compute). Cloudflare Workers. Free. No credit card required
- Database: Cloudflare Workers KV. Free. No credit card required
- Backend programming language: Node.js Free. No credit card required
With kindest regards,
December 3rd, 2023
- Started working on automatic page generator
This is strictly personal website. All opinions in this website are of the author. This website is for personal leasure and learning purposes only and should not be taken seriously in any way. Just have fun, enjoy and take everything written here with enrormous grain of salt.
You can reach me via LinkedIn profile referenced in the footer of this page.Back to Top