Welcome to my personal page
Trying to build my very own simple CMS with no frameworks nor libraries.
I built my first website back in 2002 through the only user-friendly option available back then - Geocities. I still have the URL: http://www.geocities.com/uribarialex/1.html but unfortunately, the site was not preserved and I was unable to find it archived elsewhere. Since then, I tried many different things to host my site: free hostings with site builders, Wordpress, static website generators like Publii, more complex static website generators with CLI and returning back to Wordpress again. I was never fully satisfied with the result (except, probably, with GeoCities...).
So I decided it is time to build something of my own. Why not build a minimalist CMS that covers the basics? Ideally, serving content with a unique HTML file. And my personal webstie will be the testground for such CMS. As soon as the CMS will reach MVP, I'll publish a GitHub repo with the source code so anyone will be able to use it and contribute.
This is strictly personal website. All opinions in this website are of the author. This website is for personal leasure and learning purposes only and should not be taken seriously in any way. Just have fun, enjoy and take everything written here with enrormous grain of salt.
You can reach me via LinkedIn profile referenced in the footer of this page.
- December 4th, 2023 - Started the project
- December 4th, 2023 - Started working on automatic page generator
- December 6th, 2023 - Created the compiler to read markdown files in certain folder and translate these into html. Markdown files include "matter" part with metda details of the post
- December 27th, 2023 - Updated the homepage with the content generated by the node.js app
- January 7th, 2024 - Decided change the post editing file from MarkDown to html. MarkDown is very limited compared to html. Also, updated CSS of the site. Again, no frameworks, no libraries. Everything manually crafted.
- 18th February 2024 - Updated navigation management: now blog entries will be located in the blog folder. This required an updated to navigation function to ensure the links are escalating to higher directories from files in child directories.
Next I will work on category and meta description if the posts. Also
will start working on the management of the categorization.
[Partially done] Next most important update will be the image management. I still don't know how to implement this in a reasonably automated fashion, but this is a priority. An image is better than 100 words!